The UEFA Europa League 2023 is the second most prestigious club football competition in Europe, after the UEFA Champions League. It is contested by teams from the top European football leagues and offers a place in the following season’s Champions League to the winner.
The Europa League was founded in 1971 as the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup and was initially contested by the winners of domestic cup competitions in Europe. In 1999, the competition was merged with the UEFA Cup, contested by teams that finished outside the top three in their domestic leagues.
Europa League 2023: The second tier of European football
The Europa League is played in a knockout format, with two-legged ties at each stage. The group stage is followed by the knockout stage, which consists of the round of 32, round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals, and final. The final is played at a neutral venue and is usually held in May.
The Europa League is a highly competitive competition and has been won by some of the biggest clubs in Europe, including Sevilla, Atletico Madrid, and Manchester United. In recent years, the competition has become increasingly popular and is now one of the most-watched sporting events in the world.
How does the Europa League work?
The Europa League is contested by 32 teams in the group stage. The teams are divided into eight groups of four teams, and each team plays the other teams in their group twice, once at home and once away.
The top two teams from each group qualify for the knockout stage, which consists of round of 32, round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals, and the final.
The Europa League final is a one-off match, which is usually played in a major European city.
The return of some big names and a new format
Here are some of the things to look forward to in the 2023/24 Europa League season:
- The return of some big names: After a brief absence, some of the biggest clubs in Europe are back in the Europa League this season, including Arsenal, Manchester United, and AS Roma. These teams will be among the favorites to win the competition.
- New format: The Europa League is undergoing a format change this season, with the group stage being expanded from 48 to 32 teams. This means that there will be more teams involved in the competition than ever before.
- New stars: The Europa League is a great platform for young players to showcase their talents. In recent years, the competition has produced some of the biggest stars in the game, including Erling Haaland, Jadon Sancho, and Bukayo Saka. It will be interesting to see who emerges as the next star from the Europa League this season.
Who are the favorites to win the 2023/24 Europa League?
Some of the favorites to win the 2023/24 Europa League include:
- Arsenal (England)
- Manchester United (England)
- AS Roma (Italy)
- Ajax (Netherlands)
- Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)
- Sevilla (Spain)
- Real Betis (Spain)
- Eintracht Frankfurt (Germany)
- Lyon (France)
- Atalanta (Italy)
- Sporting CP (Portugal)
These teams all have strong squads and experience in European competition. However, the Europa League is a very unpredictable competition, and there is always the chance that a smaller club could upset the odds and win the trophy.
Who are the English teams in the 2023/24 Europa League?
The following English teams will be competing in the 2023/24 Europa League group stage:
- Manchester United
- West Ham United
- Brighton & Hove Albion
- Leicester City
These teams will be hoping to make a deep run in the competition and qualify for the Champions League next season.
Here are some of the teams to watch in the 2023/24 Europa League season:
- Arsenal: The Gunners are back in the Europa League for the first time since 2020, and will be looking to win the competition for the first time since 1994. Arsenal has a strong squad and will be one of the favorites to lift the trophy.
- Manchester United: The Red Devils are also back in the Europa League, and will be looking to improve on their disappointing performance in the competition last season. United has a new manager in Erik ten Hag and hopes he can lead them to success.
- AS Roma: The Giallorossi are one of the most successful teams in the Europa League, having won the competition three times. Roma will be looking to add to their trophy haul this season, and have a strong squad led by Jose Mourinho.
- Sevilla: Sevilla is the most successful team in the Europa League, having won the competition six times. The Spanish side will be looking to defend their title this season, and have a strong squad led by Julen Lopetegui.
- Bayer Leverkusen: The German side has never won the Europa League but has come close several times. Leverkusen has a young and talented squad and hopes to challenge for the title this season.
The 2023/24 Europa League season is set to be an exciting one, with some of the biggest clubs in Europe competing for the trophy. It will be interesting to see who comes out on top.
Where can I watch the Europa League?
The Europa League is broadcast on a variety of channels around the world. In the United States, the Europa League is broadcast on TNT and CBS Sports.
The Europa League is an exciting and unpredictable competition, with teams from all over Europe vying for the chance to win the trophy and qualify for the Champions League. The 2023/24 season promises to be another thrilling year of European football.